Friday 9 March 2018

Midwinter Stitching Workshop

At the end of February, on a gloriously sunny day, I headed towards London for the Midwinter Stitching Workshop organised by three lovely ladies; Helen of Curious Handmade, Mette of Gather and Emma our tutor for the day.

The workshop was hosted by Mette in her home and we were greeted with coffee and delicious Florentines baked by Helen.  Then we gathered around a table to listen to the very talented Emma, who gave us clear instructions on how to put together a background for our embroideries.

These are a few examples of Emma's amazing work that were passed around for us to be inspired by.



We then got down to the serious business of choosing our fabrics and how to layer them. :) I put together a couple of backgrounds.  This was the first one I made using some of Emma's fabrics and some lace I had tea stained the day before.  As yet I haven't embroidered this background, but I have the idea of trees, lichen and mosses for this piece.
A lovely buffet lunch was served by Mette and afterwards we started to embroider our backgrounds.  This was the second background I put together and the one I then proceeded to stitch.
All too soon the day was over!  The time just flew by!  It was such an inspiring day, I learnt so much from Emma and it was delightful to be surrounded by such creative ladies.
Back home I continued to embroider my background.
I like to work with just a few colours of thread.
The finished piece,
which I then laced onto a board over a piece of wadding.
It is going to be the front of my art journal.
Emma also showed us how to emboss angelina fibres.  Originally this was going to be placed at the bottom of my embroidery, but I ran out of space so I have included it in my journal instead.
Lovely memories of a fabulous day.  Thank you so much to Emma, Helen and Mette.
xx

No comments: